Ever wonder what Geoffrey and Anjali's relationship was?
CHAPTER SIX
======================================================================================
Anjali's POV
We had a newcomer. Daph was jumping up and down, excited to have a new person to play with. Because of our 3-year age difference, my 7-year-old companion had become something for me to look after rather than a playmate. I smiled as her short, brown hair bounced up and down with her tiny body, her green eyes sparkling.
Finally, the guard came through the metal doors. Immediately Daphne ceased to move. A tall boy came in, dressed in a white uniform that clashed horribly with his hair. He passed by us, and when the guard stopped at the ID station, he turned to stare at us. Daphne hid behind me, and I didn’t blame her. His eyes bore into mine; they were the same color as lightning. He resumed walking, turning around the dark corner, till we lost sight of him.
“Anjee, he’s scary...” I looked down at the figure huddled at my legs. Hmmm...I wonder what the MEM needed him for...
Lunch time. Kids of all ages scrambled into the vast cafeteria, pushing and shoving to get into the line. Daphne and I waited at our table for Mr. King, our caretaker to bring us food. We got special seats because Daphne and I were different from the rest. Actually, Daphne was different. I was only allowed to sit at the table because Daphne only listened to me.
Trays of chicken and rice appeared in front of us. I looked up to smile at Mr.King, only to scowl once I saw that instead of our caretaker, the rude Mr. DeVille and his annoying son, Nils, standing there. I glared at Nils. Just last week he had tried to cut Daphne’s hair, so I had punched him in the gut.
Once they left and Daphne had started munching on her food, I relaxed and picked up my spoon. A dark shadow covered the table. I glanced up, spoon halfway to my mouth.
The new boy stared down at me for a while, before sliding into the seat across from us. He slowly ate his food. Daphne glanced at his tray, and I immediately knew she was going to ask him for his untouched carrot cake.
“Are you gonna eat that?” She asked. The boy slowly placed his cake onto her plate. She beamed up at him, and he smiled in return.
“I’m Daphne! What’s your name?” The boy hesitated before answering.
“Geoffrey,” he replied in a soft voice.
“Nice to meet y--ACHOOO!” She sneezed all over my food. My eyes widened in outrage, and I glared daggers at Daphne, who cowered into the seat. Geoffrey snickered. My eyes narrowed.
“Something funny?” He smirked.
“Just your face.” His voice dripped with arrogance. I just wanted to slap him so hard. Of course, Daphne laughed at his stupid “joke”. But my eyes immediately silenced her. What a jerk.
Later when Daphne and I were training, the jerk came to our station. As I climbed up the rickety rope to the top of the wall, I glanced down to see Daphne giggling at him, his foot stuck to the rope. I snorted. He heard me, and the next thing I knew, my rope was shaking, and I was falling. I landed on my back, staring up at the jerk’s jerky face. The nerve of that boy! That was when I vowed I would be the one to finish him. I got up, dusted my sweats, and huffed away to the obstacle course, tripping on my way. Today was just not my day.
Throughout the day, I threw furtive glances his way, scheming up ways to kill his pretty face. Everytime Daphne smiled at him, I cringed. Ack! He was stealing my little baby! Maybe I should drop him in a vat of boiling glue. I’m sure the carpenter would have extra.
After I finished my Language Arts class, I made my way to Daphne’s classroom, all the way on the other side of the building. I passed through the hallway, and froze when I saw Geoffrey. Being beaten up. By Nils. Why was he just standing there??? I had to do something. Though my ego was secretly cheering for Nils, I knew that pretty soon, Geoffrey would be nothing but a name. I ran up to the boys, kicking Nils straight in the jaw. And then I punched him repeatedly, screaming at him.
“HEY! WHAT IN THE WORLD DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?! GO AWAY IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE!!” With that, Nils crawled away, whimpering. That would show him. Geoffrey coughed behind me. Without turning, I began to shout.
“And you! Why were you standing there? Didn’t you learn anything in training???”
“My teacher told me not to, so I can save my energy for later.” I turned around, shaking my head.
“Why are you so stu-” I froze, my limbs suddenly feeling very stiff. Needles shot through my head, and I began to hyperventilate. Geoffrey’s shirt was covered in blood that dripped from his upper lip. I began to shake at the sight of it. He stared at me questioningly.
“Hey...are you okay?” Before I could answer, I collapsed onto the ground, my body jerking.
And then I woke up at the nurse’s office, with the nurse looking at her clipboard and Geoffrey looking at me like he had seen a ghost.
The nurse sighed. “Izumi, again? Didn’t you take your medications?” I groaned. I had completely forgotten about them. It was all Geoffrey’s fault.
I walked to my room, knowing that Daphne would be waiting. Geoffrey walked alongside me.
“Why did you faint?”
“I have hemophobia. It’s the fear of -”
“Blood. I know.” I stared at him. Weirdo.
“That must be very helpful around here,” he added, with a serious face. I raised an eyebrow.
“We’re in a place where everyone is bound to maim, torture, or kill each other in some way. Hemophobia is bound to become useful.”
“Er...right...”
“It’s true,” he nodded. An awkward yet comforting silence ensued. Suddenly my shoes looked highly interesting.
I glanced over at him. Once he kept his mouth shut, he wasn’t all that bad. Maybe, I could be friends with him. That was a thought. Afterall, he did seem less frightening now. I looked up, having arrived at my room. Daphne came bounding out of the door, frantically waving at Geoffrey who smiled and waved back. Rolling my eyes, I opened the door to our “house”, which was really a small room.
“See you later Wimp Girl, ” I turned around and looked at him. He smirked. Annoying. But someone had to love the idiot.
“Yeah. See you, Energy-less Boy. C’mon Daph. Time to go.” And though it wasn’t anything big, that moment in time was when our friendship first blossomed. click here for chapter seven! --> http://www.tellury.com/2012/11/click-drama-chapter-seven.html
0 comments:
Post a Comment