Friday, December 7, 2012

Birthday Problem

Birthdays are special occasions meant to celebrate the fact that," Hey, you're still alive. You're one year older. Let's throw a party before you die!"

That being said, birthday invitees are expected to bring thoughtful, expensive presents for the birthday person, so the person may use and have those presents, ostensibly, before they die. Invitees will know whether or not their gift passes the birthday person's criterion for gifts when they hear either,"Oh wow! Look at that! So nice of you to get that for me! I love it! Thank you!" or "WOOHOO! YEAAAA!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!! THIS IS AMAZING! HOW DID YOU KNOW THIS WAS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED?!!!!!!"

The latter response indicates that you met the birthday person's requirements.

But either way, invitees will always hold a special place in the birthday person's heart. The ones with cool gifts will have a better place, but those without gift will have a place nevertheless.

Which brings me to my concern. I have a birthday party for a good friend of mine, and I...completely forgot about it. However, being someone who always focuses 90% of the time on solutions and only 10% on the problem,  I am working out a solution to my crisis. At the current time, I have only three scenarios that I can think. 

I either come with a present, come without a present, or run away to Mexico.

But my friend's party is always a great time and I just can't not go. So I guess Mexico is out of the answer. 

The last time I came without a present my friend kicked me out, too... and the last time I brought just a gift card or a bad present, I faced the guilt and sadness of not caring enough about my friend.

So it seems that I must think of some suitable gift. One that'll inspire that "WOOHOO! YEAAAA!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!! THIS IS AMAZING! HOW DID YOU KNOW THIS WAS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED?!!!!!!" response.

(Thinking Time)...


Got it. Of course. It's incredibly simple. My friend loves chocolate. I'll just buy a whole bunch of chocolate, and maybe a little gold statue that says,"Best Friend" and she'll be to busy eating to care about the present! Of course! 

Rule of Thumb for Birthdays: Distract the birthday host for as long as the party goes, party hard so they forget about any gift, and enjoy the experience of being with friends.



T_L


0 comments:

Post a Comment