Tuesday, December 4, 2012

CLICK (A Drama) CHAPTER NINE

Great. Just great. I was standing in front of a lunatic. A raving lunatic. After some ghost like creature had taken me from my wonderful cage in the forest, I had ended up in some sort of lab. So here I was, sitting on a table, wearing a hospital frock, pipes protruding out of my skin, and a crazy man in front of me. This man was nothing short of a mad scientist, constantly claiming that he was the CEO of some company called the MEM, whatever that was. Apparently, we had met before and I was actually a highly-trained agent. Of course, clearly this was all false considering I couldn’t even look at the color red without vomiting. So, I interrupted his mad rant and asked him some questions.
“Soooo...mister...exactly where am I? And why am I here? Oh, and also, why do you keep saying I’m special?” The man looked at me in disbelief.
“Goodness gracious, Izumi. Your memory loss proved more fatal than I expected. Oh well. You’ll just have to wait a while to get answers. But don’t worry, by the end of this day, you’ll find that...ah....your answers were always right there in your head.” With those cryptic words, he left the room, leaving another man with me. He was elderly, and didn’t look as deranged as the “mad scientist”.
The old man hobbled up to me in a lab coat, and looked at a test tube filled with a strange brown liquid. He smiled at me.
“Hello, Anjali. I trust you remember me. It’s good to see you again.” What the? WHY DID EVERYONE KNOW MY NAME????? First Geoffrey, then the lunatic, and now this old man. What was going on? Now I was desperate for answers. As if reading my mind, the old man nodded his head.
“Don’t worry, dearie, you’ll know in just a second. In a second, you’ll remember everything. Oh and, clearly since you don’t recall, my name is Mr. King.” With that, he filled a syringe with the brown liquid and positioned the needle just above my arm. Before I could protest, he injected me with the liquid. All of a sudden, strange things filled my head.
I was no longer at the lab. I was standing in a room with a little boy with blond hair and blue eyes and an even younger girl with dark brown hair and green eyes. The boy was sneering at me, and the little girl was laughing. I heard myself speak, and mentally gasped when I saw, instead of my older hands, two small hands push the boy to the floor. He glared up at me, and then burst into laughter. The scene changed, and I was in a dark room filled with obstacles. Before I could stop, my legs charged ahead and I twisted and turned, jumped and flipped, ran and slid through the whole course. Oh my goodness! I had no idea where this was coming from! But I couldn’t stop moving. A spinning disk came flying my way, and I unconsciously dodged it, spinning and landing on a wooden platform. The boy from before stood in front of me, looking a lot older. He started clapping and then pulled me into a hug. A strange sensation filled my stomach, as if all my intestines were bouncing around.
The scene changed once more, and I was sitting across from the young girl from before. Except now she looked older, like a goddess. I marveled in her beauty. How in the world did I know this girl? I found myself singing a birthday song to her, and she beamed at me before blowing the candles that said 15 on a chocolate cake. A boy came out from the shadows, holding a big present. I gasped, but once more no sound came out. The boy was Geoffrey! He placed the present on the table and leaned down, kissing the girl on the lips. In a second, my heart felt like it shattered. But strangely, I found myself smiling at the two.
“Get a room,” I said. And then, everything changed again. Now I was in an empty classroom, except for myself, Geoffrey, and the other girl. Geoffrey and I were sitting on top of the desks, looking down at the girl. She was crying, holding a paper.

“W-w-what if I’m kicked out? W-w-what’s g-g-oing to hap-p-pen t-to meeee?” she wailed, tears streaming down her flushed face. Geoffrey gave her a hug, and once again I felt the feeling usually connected with the vile thing called jealousy.
“Shhhh! Don’t cry. It’ll be okay.” He spoke into her chocolate hair, and at his touch she calmed down. Just a bit. I felt better when instead of responding, she looked up at me.
“Daphne, you won’t be kicked out because you failed Italian, stupido. You’re the best agent here. No one’s gonna kick our best weapon’s master out because she’s an illiterate Italian...even if that is your native tongue,” she glared at me, “and if they do, they’ll have to go through me and Jeffy-Jeff here.” Her glare turned into a half-hearted smile, and then a giant one as she pushed off Geoffrey and leapt onto me, embracing me in a suffocating hug. Geoffrey looked offended.
“HEY! I was the one comforting you first!!!” I felt myself smirk.
“Yeah, but she met me first. And besides, I’m like her sister.” He began to wail.
“BUT! I’M NOT LIKE HER BOYFRIEND! I really am her boyfriend!!!” Daphne and I giggled.
The setting changed for the last time. I came face to face with an all too familiar scene. One that I remembered. I knocked on the door. No answer.
“Daphne? Open up! We have to go!”
Still no sound. I pushed the door, and it slowly creaked open.
I gasped. My head reeled. My beautiful angel lay sprawled on the floor, her chocolate curls spread around her in a pool of revolting blood. I ran to Daphne, kneeling beside her. I picked her up, and cradled her still body in my arms, tears threatening to slip. What was going on? Just this morning she had been laughing at her own joke, bubbly and full of life. I sniffed and looked around. Had she eaten something wrong, and fallen? I saw no weapon, or food. How had this happened?
Daphne moved.
“An-An-Anjali...” she whispered. I leant in close, hugging her tighter.
“What? What is it? C’mon Daph, get up. I’ll take you to the infirmary.” I was becoming frantic. What was happening?
“N-n-no. Just....take...care...of-” She paused. Her eyes closed and she inhaled sharply.       
“What? Who? Take care of who?” No answer. I shook her, shrieking her name.
She breathed deeply. Some blood was dribbling out of her mouth. “I love you. Mmmkay Anjali? I haven’t really ever told you that properly.” The blood was seeping out faster now, it was all over her.
“And...don’t...Geof-” She seized up, hacking. It was horrible. Each pained cough brought up more blood, and it splattered all over her and she looked so horribly-
She was gone...
She was gone. Her eyes had glazed over just as her eyelids drooped down into their final resting position. She went limp in my arms and suddenly, she became much heavier.
“Daphne! Daph! Wake up! Hah ha! This is not funny kid! WAKE UP!” But, to my dismay, she didn’t obey my orders. My tears cascaded down my cheeks, falling upon her closed eyelids. The only one I had ever considered as family was gone. Gone, just like the others. I whimpered. I had to get out of here. There was no reason for me to stay anymore. But why? How did my little angel die? Why? I would get whoever did this. Just the thought of someone touching Daphne made my insides churn, and I growled through my clenched teeth.
Footsteps pattered near the door. I froze. The metal door slowly opened. I turned to look at the face of a very astonished person.
“W-w-what is this? WHAT IS THIS? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?” His face reddened, marring his beautiful features. I shook my head repeatedly.
“No no no no. I-i-it wasn’t me. Geoffrey, I swear, it wasn’t me. I found her like this!” My voice broke.
Geoffrey didn’t answer. He collapsed at Daphne’s side and tore her slack body away from me. “Don’t. TOUCH HER.”
Whimpering (and I never whimper), I tried to hold onto her..but I got shoved away. Dangit Geoff. Dangit! Why was he being so stupid? I was there by her side all along! I was her friend as well as he was! I
love Daphne too! But..maybe he needed some time too...maybe some time alone... I backed away.
I tried to look away. I mean, this was personal. But I had never seen him so insane. Broken, yes. Angry, yes. But he was absolutely...crazy. His face was buried in her lump of a body and he was crying. At least, he looked like he was. His shoulders heaved and he sure sounded like he was. But I don’t think he had any tears. His face was covered in her blood, as were his hands.
Geoffrey licked his lips and smiled maniacally. He breathed gruffly a couple times and said, “Daphne, don’t be an idiot. WAKE up! Dammit Daphne! Wake up NOW!” When she didn’t respond, he  gripped her face between his hands and growled, “Daphne, you listen to me right now. You’re going to get up DAMMIT okay YOU’RE GOING TO GODDAMN GET UP!” Maybe he really expected something would happen this time he said it. I dunno. Maybe he really, seriously thought that just by listening to him, Daphne would miraculously wake up. Because when she didn’t, the wall of his sanity broke. He let her body drop, crumpled to the ground. He stood up stiffly, and jerked around. He narrowed his eyes at me and said, “You. You LIAR! You couldn’t stand us together, could you? So you got rid of her!” He whipped out a gun from who knows where. My eyes widened, and I began to shake.
“N-n-no! Believe me! Daphne was like my sister. I loved her as much as you did! Please, just listen to ---” He was grinning sinisterly, almost in a carefree way. He waved around his gun, eventually training it on me.
“Ohhh, Anj, I should’ve seen it earlier! Of course it was you, the whole time! How could I be so stupid? Well well, silly me. It’s time for you to die to, Anj!”
I heard a Bam! I looked down at my white uniform, a red mark blooming from my chest. I looked up in disbelief, and then, a dark curtain shielded my eyes.

I opened my eyes to the sound of screaming. As hot liquid trailed down my face, I realized that I was the one screaming. I fell to the ground, shrieking, absolutely hysterical. I remembered it all! Everything! Every last bit! I knew why I dreamt of Geoffrey shooting me, why he looked familiar, why he knew my name. I knew who Daphne was, what she was to me! I knew who I was. But I didn’t want to know! I didn’t! I didn’t! I leapt up and ripped the pipes from my arms. Mr. King backed away.
“WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME? JUST LETTING A PERSON GO INTO SOMETHING LIKE THAT! AFTER ALL THEY’VE FORGOTTEN! DO YOU KNOW HOW PAINFUL THAT WAS?” I was hysterical. the shock- just too much-
“Look, Anj, there’s not a lot of time to explain- WE NEED YOU IMMEDIATELY. We had to get your memories up to par and this was the quickest way-”
“OHHH, I see it now! I’m just an object to you, aren’t I? Fannnnn
tastic!”
“Now Anj, calm down-”
“NO, I WON’T CALM DOWN! You wanna know why? BECAUSE YOU JUST MADE ME RELIVE MY BEST FRIEND’S DEATH, ALL OVER AGAIN! BECAUSE WHO DOESN’T WANT TO DO THAT, HUH? HUH?”
I wouldn’t cry, I wouldn’t cry, especially not in front of some monster like this guy, no way I WOULD NOT CRY
Mr. King took a deep breath. He didn’t try to calm me down, he didn’t try to console me, he didn’t even yell at me.
“Code blue, four sixty-seven.”
My eyes widened.
My mouth went dry.
I had to sit down, for crying out loud.
I understood.
Code blue, four sixty-seven
Some serious stuff was about to go down.

0 comments:

Post a Comment