Tuesday, December 11, 2012

CLICK (A Drama) CHAPTER TEN

I didn’t have any money.
So when I called for a cab...well, all I had was a nickel. Or something.
I had to walk home.
All fifteen miles of it.
I suppose it could’ve been worse.
Needed the excersise anyway.
At least it gave me time to think.

I knew only this much for certain:

  • I had lost my memory. How or why? Not the foggiest.
  • I used to love a girl- Daphne.
  • Anjali had killed Daphne. Didn’t know why though...
  • I had killed Anjali.
  • Anjali was back from the dead??

Aaaand then there was also the tiny little fact that I had killed someone. God nope. I couldn’t think about that. Not now. Later. Later was good.

Geez. What was I going to do now? Walk home, sleep, wait to get arrested? I mean, the body...I didn’t even hide it. I just left it there. What was I thinking?! I had to go back. Burn it, chop it up into little pieces, juice it in a blender, feed it to a mob of hungry squirrels...I HAD TO GO BACK.
...But my feet kept walking towards home.
Geez maybe it was fate. I’ve just been forever doomed to go rot in jail. Whatever. I was going home.
Maybe equally as worrying was how Anjali was still alive. I know I pulled that trigger. I watched her collapse. I even checked her pulse after I saw her stop breathing!
...She couldn’t be like, one of those ghots people right?! Comes back from the dead? HAUNTS THE GUY THAT KILLS HER OR SOMETHING...
I laughed.

Sounded like a fart from a donkey’s left butt cheek.
A really loud fart from a donkey’s left butt cheek.
I don’t know whether I was laughing because that idea was so ridiculous or if I was laughing because I really half believed that I was probably going to get skinned alive and tossed in a toilet bowl by some demonic girl and heck I was scared the way a nerd was when the internet suddenly crashes.
God, it was hot. It was night time and it was still as muggy as a hippo’s armpit. What time was it anyway? I left Cal’s party pretty early. I did end up coming a bit late...Maybe something like, ten? Spent another hour and a half wandering around and oh, killing someone, then maybe half an hour at the park. I had been walking for an hour. I didn’t feel like walking fast at all. Sometimes I just sat down and stared at the cracks in the sidewalk. But anyway, that meant it was.. what? Only two in the morning? IT FELT SO MUCH LONGER...I thought it was, I dunno, four?

Suddnely, it occured to me: why not track down Anj? She couldn’t actually be a psychopathic killer. Maybe she knew more about this whole mess than me. And if she didn’t, well, I could at least find out how she came back to life. Because, y’know, stuff like that is a pretty big deal.
...But first I was going to home, sit in the corner and wait for someone to arrest me.
“Hey Geoffrey.”
I nearly screamed like a prepubescent tween girl who picked at her spots. Geez! I thought it was the police or something and in some weird stalker-ish way they knew my name and-
“Er, hello Kent. How’d you find me?”
“Easy enough- I followed the trail of misery and angst.”
“Ahhhh...”
“Just kidding. I just saw you while I was driving back home. Get in! I dropped off Kat and Wendy already.”
“Yeah, yeah sure. Okay.”
I got in Kent’s car, sinking back into the worn out seat. I sighed. It felt good to be able to rest. Not just physically- with Kent, I felt...I felt safe.
The car bumped over the road comfortably (Kent’s driving was truly a menace to all living things- I must’ve been exhausted, because there’s no way Kent’s driving could be defined as safe), the radio station tuned into some soporific classical music station, and the weather was fairly warm. I fell asleep.
But, the next morning, I woke up in my own bed. Kent was across from me, at my desk, reading.
“What’re you doing in here?” I asked, groggily. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. “Nevermind; Did you carry me in here from the car??”
“Well you certainly didn’t carry yourself- mm, by the way. Geoffrey. Do you know what happened to Anj last night? After the party? Your office called, the police are conudting an investigation- she disappeared apparently. Hasn’t been seen since ten last night. It’s about two o’ clock now, I let you sleep through the day. She was supposed to have an appoinment with some customer from work, but she never showed up. Strange, isn’t it?”



0 comments:

Post a Comment