Monday, December 3, 2012

Lebron: Sportsman of 2012

To his surprise, NBA superstar Lebron James was awarded the Sportsman of the Year award by Sports Illustrated today. James believed that his decision to leave the Cleveland Cavaliers to join the Miami Heat would have affected his chances to win any award.

But make no mistake, Lebron is not in it for the accolades. He says,"I do what I do because I love it and I want to continue to get better at it."

Past winners of the Sportsman Award are famed athletes such as Muhammed Ali, Tom Brady, Derek Jeter, and Michael Phelps.

Perhaps one small justification can be found for Lebron's award; he won all the awards an NBA player could win in one year.

This year, Lebron captured an NBA championship ring, helped the USA win gold for basketball in the Olympics, earned another NBA MVP award. But it was his charity work for children in his native home of Ohio that cinched the award for him.

Lebron: "Sportsman of 2012" will be just another title for him, along with "The King," and "The Chosen One."

Lebron James however, always modest, said,"Do I need it? I don't need it. I don't ever look for individual accolades."

Maybe his humble personality is the reason he earned the Sportsman Award of 2012.

T_L

0 comments:

Post a Comment