Tuesday, December 25, 2012

The Sport of Swimming

So, right now, my computer is entirely in Dutch. It is a bright, sunny afternoon in Brussels, and I have just attempted to read a lab write-up about baseball. I have ten minutes before my family runs away without me, so I'll make it as quick as I can.

I have read somewhere that swimming is too boring to write about. Hmm...A sport treasured by millions of diverse humans across the globe, a sport honored to such a degree that it is in the Olympics, and a sport loved so much that men are willing to wear tiny Speedos into the great lake that is the pool, is, in my humble opinion, at least somewhat worthy to write about.

Swimming has ancient roots in the history of the world's creation. When the world was made, what were the first things in it? Bacteria. And where were the bacteria, the small unseeable things that would eventually evolve into you, you clump of flesh and blood and brain?

That's right.

Bacteria were swimming around in water. 

So if tiny bacteria can do it, why can't you?

Notwithstanding that, swimming has several benefits. 

First off, it feels good to be in the water after a hot day.

Second, swimmers are able to eat as much as they want because of the calories they lose in the pool.

Third, people who swim get free showers in the pool.

Lastly, and definitely not leastly, swimmers develop a toned muscular body.
You know what scientists say about V shaped bodies attracting the other gender? Swimming gives you that V-shaped body. Why else would girls craze about 15 year old British diver Tom Daley, or Michael Phelps, or Ryan Lochte? No one would care if they didn't swim.

I submit to you that swimming is an amazing, fun-filled sport that I have barely scratched the surface of. Whoever wrote that swimming is too boring must be some overstressed kid who takes too many AP's. 

T_L

0 comments:

Post a Comment